Monday, June 16, 2008

Art


I always fond myself apologising to my Art History students for the poor quality of the images I had to show them on my Power Point presentations in class. I will include you in that apology today, dear readers. I wanted to show you an image of this painting, but this is the best one I could manage.
This is Cityscape: sunrise. The artist is well known for her color pallet, representational geometric figures, and use of loose, thin paint; but this is an experimental piece where she used her dripping technique both horizontally and vertically to achieve the motion and tempo inherent in the canvas. The blocky colors of the sunrise echo the blocky structures of the city, and those of the retreating night sky on the left. The strict avoidance of angles and undulations lend the work a staid, solid feeling - yet the movement of the horizontals and the obvious urgency of the brushwork give the painting a fleeting momentary feel.
_
_
_
Or something like that.
_
_
_
You can ask the artist to explain better next time you see her.
_
_
_
Meredith painted this and gave it to us yesterday. She painted it Saturday whilst working with some other bohemian artist types in a squatter's studio on top of the Center for the Arts parking garage in Springfield. It actually is quite lovely, Much better than the picture I took. It looks dandy hanging in the family room.
Next, I'll post a picture of my lonely brds.
~M.E.
Edit: Now I am Cranky. Blogger won't let me post the pix to it's best advantage, and makes it look even odder than the actual picture. Grr.

1 comment:

vxbush said...

Hey, it still looks cool. Go Mer!